Last Updated on February 27, 2022 by Guillermina
Today, we’re going to be answering the question: can you wear pants to a wedding? And taking a look at other do’s and don’ts when choosing the perfect wedding guest outfit. When you receive an invite to a wedding, one of the first decisions you want to make is what you’ll be wearing. And if there’s no dress code, it’s tricky to even know where to begin! Let’s take a look at whether wedding etiquette says it’s okay to wear pants to a wedding – and other do’s and don’ts to follow when choosing your outfit.
Do’s and Don’ts of Outfits at Weddings
There are a few do’s and don’ts to follow when choosing your outfit to ensure you choose the perfect attire for the occasion. Here are a few of our top tips to follow.
- Do think about the dress code. If there’s a dress code for the wedding, this is the easiest way to choose an outfit. And it’s considered rude to not follow the dress code if there is one
- Do consider the venue choice. If the venue is a barn, it’s probably not best to turn up in a floor-length gown with 5-inch stilettos – plan your outfit around the location of the wedding
- Do check the weather. It may be a summer wedding, but you can’t predict the weather, so be sure to check your local weather station, and have a backup outfit ready, just in case
- Do wear layers. Weather can change at the drop of a hat. Too hot? Too cold? Be sure to bring a jacket or shrug.
- Do wear comfortable shoes. I know it’s tempting to adorn your highest heels and strut your stuff, but you’ll likely be in the shoes for the majority of the day, and you don’t want to be suffering.
- Don’t wear white. It seems like an obvious one but wearing white is completely unacceptable and should only be worn if the dress code allows it.
- Don’t wear the same color as the bridal party/groomsmen. If you’re unsure of what the color scheme is, check in with the couple before choosing your outfit.
- Don’t wear jeans. I know you want to be comfortable and jeans may feel like a great choice – jeans are far too casual, even for a casual wedding.
- Don’t wear all black. Black pants are okay, but avoid wearing all black. It’s a wedding, not a funeral, after all.
- Don’t wear anything too revealing. You don’t want to be remembered for the wrong reasons when choosing your outfit. Avoid anything with a low cleavage or anything that shows too much leg.
- Don’t wear anything too bold. Avoid wearing anything with too much glitz and glam. You don’t want any attention to be taken away from the bride.
- Don’t wear a black tuxedo. It’s also important not to upstage the groom too. Avoid wearing anything too groom-like. You also don’t want to be mistaken for the groom, or one of the groomsmen.
If you’re wondering what the perfect outfit looks like, check out this article from the Evening Standard of the 50 Guest Stunning Wedding Guest Dresses. This is perfect for some inspiration and the best places to shop for your outfit.
I hope this article has helped to answer the question: can you wear pants to a wedding? And helped to identify the other do’s and don’ts when it comes to choosing the perfect wedding outfit. The most important thing to remember is to choose a comfortable outfit that fits the dress code. As long as you’re following the dress code and wearing something comfortable – you can’t go wrong!
Have you worn pants to a wedding? If so, which ones did you go for? I would love to know, so please feel free to let me know in the comments below. Sharing is caring!
What Should You Never Wear to a Wedding?
The main rule to follow when choosing your outfit (as a female guest) is to never wear the color white, unless the dress code allows you to. White should be the bride's color from her engagement, all the way through to her wedding day, if that's what she chooses. And it's seen as terrible wedding etiquette and unlucky for the bride to wear white to her wedding. Another no-go when it comes to choosing your outfit is dressing outside the dress code. It's tempting to not follow the dress code, particularly if it's not your color or style - but it's always best to respect the couple's wishes, and decisions for their wedding.
Is It Acceptable to Wear Trousers at a Wedding?
Absolutely! As a guest, as long as you're not wearing anything too casual, and trousers that don't look too much like office wear - it's completely fine to wear trousers to a wedding. However, it is best to stick to dress pants, and a wide leg trouser if you're choosing to wear trousers. If you're unsure whether the couple would be happy with you wearing trousers to the wedding, just ask! That way, you won't need to worry about your outfit choice.
Can You Wear Pants to a Casual Wedding?
Casual weddings are tricky, as how casual is too casual? It can be a real minefield to navigate. But you can definitely wear pants to a casual wedding. Tailored, wide-leg trousers and pastel colors are the best choices to opt for when choosing your pants. And remember not to choose pants that are too casual - sweatpants are definitely not acceptable!
Is It Okay For a Woman to Wear Black Pants to a Wedding?
Black pants are completely okay to wear to a wedding - although opt for tailored or wide-leg if you can. And definitely do not pair with a black top. Be sure to add colorful accessories, or a bright top. Some couples will not be happy to see guests wearing all black on their wedding day. But black pants, paired with another color is absolutely fine. Again, if you're unsure - be sure to ask the couple.