Last Updated on February 21, 2022 by Guillermina
Today, we’re going to be looking at getting engaged without a ring and whether it’s okay or not. Wedding traditions are constantly evolving and changing. Whether it be having a man of honor, walking down the aisle alone, or wearing a dress that isn’t white, there aren’t many weddings nowadays that follow every tradition. So let’s start with changing a tradition from the engagement – do we really need a ring to show off our engagement? Let’s take a look.
Why Do We Propose With A Ring?
Did you know that the tradition of engagement rings goes back to Ancient Egyptian times?! We’re led to believe that they saw circles as a symbol of eternity – so what better way to use a circle for our engagement rings and our wedding bands? It’s quite a romantic gesture really!
Ways To Propose Without A Ring
There are plenty of just as romantic ways to propose without a ring. Let’s take a look at some of our favorites.
- In Writing. We just spoke about the power of words. A love letter declaring how you feel, and how you wish to spend the rest of your life with your partner is the perfect gesture for a proposal. And something they can treasure forever
- A Pet. Getting a pet together is a huge commitment, much like a marriage. So why not ask your partner to get engaged with a pet? It’s the perfect way to show your commitment to your relationship, and the next step in the new chapter of your lives
- An Heirloom. While not every family has an heirloom, if yours does, what better way to propose than with such an important part of your family’s legacy? Your partner will see that you already think of them as part of your family, which is incredibly important
- On Vacation. While you’re sunbathing on the beach, get down on one knee in the sand and simply tell them how you feel and ask them to spend the rest of their life with you. It’s romantic and extremely memorable
- Get Creative. Are you an artist? Do you like to write music? Use your creative skills to create something unique for your significant other like a painting or a song, and then gift them it while you’re proposing. It will always be a beautiful memento of your engagement
Can A Woman Propose?
While we’re talking about knocking off traditions – why should it be the man that always has to propose?! Nowadays, it’s becoming far more common for women to propose than it once was. If you’re a woman and want to propose to your partner – there is absolutely nothing stopping you! If you’re wondering how to propose and the best ways to do it, check out this super informative article from The Knot.
While I didn’t propose to my husband, he did want an engagement ring like me once he had proposed – and I was more than happy to oblige!
I hope this article has helped to answer the question of whether getting engaged without a ring is okay. In short, it most definitely is! But it’s something I suggest chatting about to your significant other first. What’s important to you, may not be important to them and vice versa. Communication is key to every part of a relationship, including engagement.
Did you get engaged without a ring? If so, what did you receive? I would love to hear your experiences and stories. If you have one you’d like to share, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. Sharing is caring!
Is it Okay to Propose Without a Ring?
Although we've all grown up believing a proposal must go hand in hand with a sparkling diamond ring - this is absolutely not the case! It's perfectly okay to propose without a ring. You may be proposing to someone that doesn't often wear jewellery, or doesn't like to wear rings. Or maybe just thinks the engagement ring tradition is outdated. Whatever the reason, it's best to discuss if a ring is important to your significant other when discussing marriage - just because it's not a deal breaker for you, it may be for them.
What Can I Do Instead of an Engagement Ring?
There are plenty of ways to propose instead of using an engagement ring. The most common way is to buy a piece of jewellery more suited to your significant other. They may prefer necklaces, bracelets, anklets - whatever their preference, another piece of jewellery is a great idea. Another popular replacement is a simple ring box. If you know your partner is particular fussy, or you want to propose but are saving for the perfect ring, the gesture of a ring box can be enough - and you can shop for the ring as a couple.
Why Would a Man Propose Without a Ring?
The most common reason is financial issues. The cost of an engagement ring could be a huge help to your wedding planning budget. Some couples may prefer to spend the money on the wedding itself, than a ring. Another reason is that your partner may know you don't wear jewellery and may feel a proposal is better suited to your preferences, with something like a letter or flowers - we'll be looking at ways to propose without a ring later in this article!
How Do You Show Commitment Without a Ring?
Commitment can be shown with objects like an engagement ring, but more importantly - commitment is shown by words and actions. Showing commitment with words is one of the most powerful ways of showing your significant other how much you care. Give each other a token of your own love, that's important to you. Every couple is unique, so you can show commitment any way you wish to. Another popular idea is to have tattoos on your wedding fingers - that way they can never get lost!