Last Updated on December 27, 2021 by Guillermina
Today, we’re going to be answering the question: how much do tuxedos cost? The price of a tuxedo will vary on a range of factors, and we’ll be covering them all. Your wedding will often be one of the most expensive days of your lives and you’ll likely have already set a budget for a bridal gown – but tuxedos can be expensive too! But how much should you be setting aside for the average tuxedo? Let’s take a closer look at everything you need to know.
What Is A Tuxedo?
You may be wondering what the difference is between a suit and a tuxedo. The main difference between the two is the presence of satin. Tuxedos often have satin on the lapels, which a standard suit will not. It’s common knowledge that a tuxedo is the traditional wedding attire for a man on his wedding day, and most grooms will opt for a tuxedo. However, if you’re more comfortable wearing a suit, you can (my husband did) – and it was much cheaper too!
What Is The Average Price Of A Tuxedo?
How much do tuxedos cost is one of the most common questions a groom will ask. Tuxedos are much more luxurious than suits and the price reflects that. Of course, the price will vary on a range of factors, so it’s impossible to predict the price of the tuxedo of your choice. However, in the US the average price of buying a tuxedo can cost anywhere from $300 – $1000!
If you’re looking to rent a tuxedo, this is a much more budget-friendly option and the average price for a tuxedo hire is around $200.
Rent Or Buy A Tuxedo?
It’s a difficult decision to choose whether you’d like to buy or rent a tuxedo. Here are a few points you may want to consider before making a choice.
- Will, you re-wear the tuxedo? This is an important one. If it’s going to be collecting dust in your closet and is unlikely to never see the light of day again – it may be better to hire a tuxedo.
- What is your budget? The budget you have will likely dictate whether you can stretch to buy a tuxedo or stick to rental.
- Do you want to customize it? If you want to add anything and make it unique to your special day, you’ll need to buy a tuxedo. Rental tuxedos can not be changed.
- Do you want to tailor it? If you want your tuxedo altered to fit you perfectly, you’ll need to buy one outright. Rental tuxedos can not be altered in any way and should return in the condition you picked them up in.
Factors To Consider
Whether you want to buy or rent a tuxedo, there are lots of factors that will dictate how much the price will be. Here are a few points you may want to consider when you are deciding upon your budget for the groom’s outfit.
- Suit vs Tuxedo. A tuxedo will no doubt be the pricier option. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, opt for a suit instead.
- Fabric. The more luxurious the fabric, the higher the price will be.
- Alterations. Some places will offer alterations for free, but often there will be an additional cost if you want your wedding suit to fit perfectly.
- Designer. Undoubtedly, the vital factor is whether you want a designer suit or not. The more elusive the designer, the higher the price point will be.
- Renting or Buying. It may feel constricting to rent a suit, but tuxedo rental stores will often have many tuxedos to choose from, in a range of styles, fabrics, designers, and even accessories – so don’t exclude renting a tux before you’ve given it some consideration!
Once you’ve decided on your tuxedo, there may be additional costs to factor into your budget.
- Tailoring. If you want your tuxedo to fit like a glove, you will likely need to set around $100 of your budget for any alterations that you may need.
- Accessories. Accessories can be deceptively expensive! This will cover everything from cufflinks, vests, bow ties, etc. Some stores offer packages which will include accessories, so be sure to ask as you may be able to arrange a deal that includes everything you need.
- Cleaning. If you’ve chosen to rent a tuxedo, be sure to ask about cleaning costs. Often, the price of cleaning will be included in the price. However, if not – this may be a hefty unexpected bill after your wedding day.
Why Are Tuxedos So Expensive?
It’s a simple answer really – the quality will be better and the look will be more luxurious than that of a standard suit. They look incredibly formal, but also classy too. And everyone looks good in a tux! They also will usually have satin, which is one of the most expensive fabrics.
If you’re looking for the best place to buy a tuxedo for the groom or groomsmen, Brides has an incredible article of The 16 Best Places to Buy a Stylish Tuxedo. From Bloomingdale’s to Bonobos, it’s a great place to start your search for the perfect wedding tux.
I hope this article has helped to answer the question: how much do tuxedos cost? And give you an idea of the average tuxedo price and how to budget for your special day. Whether you opt for a traditional suit or a tuxedo, or a rental or bought tux – the most important part of your day is the marriage! I was super nervous about everything, but once I started walking down the aisle at my own wedding – everything else seemed trivial, besides me, him – and that moment.
Did you buy or rent a tuxedo for your wedding? Or did you even wear a tuxedo? Whatever your stance is, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. And if you’re comfortable sharing locations and prices, please do. You may be helping out future grooms with their own tuxedos! Sharing is caring.