Last Updated on April 7, 2022 by Marco C.
Today, we’re going to be looking at how to use cricut vinyl on glass. If you’re looking to keep the prices down on your wedding, you may be wanting to make your own favors. And the perfect favor is a wine glass. However, if you want your glasses personalized for your wedding day – it can become quite expensive. So why not try doing it yourself? It’s actually easier to use cricut vinyl than you may think. It just requires time and patience. Let’s take a look at how to use cricut vinyl on glass.
What Is Cricut Vinyl?
You may be wondering what cricut vinyl actually is! Cricut vinyl is permanent. This makes it perfect for DIY projects such as wine glasses, mugs, signs – and so much more. Not only is the film water-resistant, but it’s also UV-resistant too. This means that it’s the perfect choice for projects that you want to go the distance. Cricut vinyl can last up to 3 years if looked after correctly.
What Do You Need For Using Cricut Vinyl On Glass?
It’s best to be as prepared as possible before you start work on your cricut vinyl, so I recommend having the following items laid out in a clear area, so you have the space and equipment necessary.
- Premium Vinyl
- Transfer Tape
- Cricut Maker
- Glass Cleaner
- Rubbing Alcohol and Paper Towels
- Painters Tape
- Blow Dryer (or Heat Gun)
- Sewing Pin
How To Use Cricut Vinyl On Glass
- Before you start sticking, the best way to figure out where to place your design is to half fill the glass with water.
- Use a small amount of painter’s tape to work out where you want your design to be.
- Clean the area with rubbing alcohol and dry with paper towels before you start sticking.
- Measure your design on the workspace in front of you. You may want to check this several times to ensure you have the right size. Be sure to place the design in the center
- Using transfer tape, you can now move the design from the backing, to the glass
- Be sure that the bottom edge of the design is in line with the top of the water line
- Once the design is stuck down, remove the tape and burnish (polish) the design. It’s worth noting that as you’ll likely be making a few glasses, use the same water from the first design in every glass; this ensures that every glass will look the same
- If there are any bubbles in your vinyl, you can use a blow dryer and a pin to remove them, so don’t worry too much if it isn’t perfect
- Leave for at least 48 hours before you use it so it has time for the adhesive to work, and the design to stay in place
Learn more about Cheap Tall Vases For Wedding Receptions
What Cricut Vinyl Can I Use?
There are actually two varieties of cricut you can use when it comes to wine glasses. Sticky vinyl and iron-on vinyl. Let’s have a look at the two.
- Sticky Vinyl. Be sure to use the permanent vinyl, instead of the removable ones – that is if you want it to be permanent at your wedding. You may want it removable so you can use it for other events after
- Iron-On Vinyl. You can use iron-on vinyl on glass using heat transfer. However, if you’re new to the world of cricut vinyl, it may not be best to do this, as you need to have some knowledge around the subject. To find out more about using iron-on vinyl for wine glasses, check out this article.
It’s worth noting that whatever cricut vinyl you use, it’s always best to stick to handwashing. Although the glass may be dishwasher safe, the vinyl will peel off much quicker if you choose to wash it in the dishwasher.
I hope this article has helped you to learn how to use cricut vinyl on glass. If cricut vinyl is new to you, it may be best to buy a few trial glasses so you can practice before you start work on the real deal. That way, there’s much less pressure to get it perfect the first time. As long as you have patience and time on your side, you’ll have the most amazing wedding favor wine glasses in no time at all!
Do you have any recommendations for using cricut vinyl on glass? Or have your own method you’d like to share? If so, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. Sharing is caring!
Read more about Wine Glass Party Favor Ideas
How Do I Get My Cricut Vinyl to Stick to Glass?
There are a few tips to ensure your cricut vinyl sticks to the glass. Before you do anything, be sure the surface that you're sticking onto is completely clean, using rubbing alcohol. The cleaner the better. Any oil from your fingers can stop the vinyl from sticking. Once you've stuck the vinyl down, it's very important to burnish (polish) the area well; this will ensure the adhesion is better.
How Do You Add Cricut Vinyl to Wine Glass?
Using transfer paper, with graph paper on the inside of the glass to be sure you place the vinyl in the correct position. They'll be a more in depth tutorial in this post.
How Do You Keep Vinyl From Peeling Off Glass?
There are a few things you can do to ensure that the vinyl doesn't begin peeling off shortly after applied. Ensure that the glass is dry and then clean with rubbing alcohol. Once you've stuck the vinyl, it's best to leave it for at least 48 hours; that way it'll have time to set in place.
What Kind of Cricut Vinyl is Used for Wine Glasses?
If you're looking for the perfect cricut vinyl to use on your glasses, I highly recommend Oracal 651. It has a strong adhesive, which is perfect for long lasting designs. It's also good at lasting after handwashing, which is definitely something you'll need for a wine glass. You can find the Oracal 651 permanent adhesive on stores such as Amazon, in a range of shapes and sizes.