Last Updated on September 19, 2021 by Guillermina
Today, we’re going to be looking at wedding dresses from China. If you’ve been planning your wedding for a while, you will have no doubt already seen a Chinese wedding dress or two on your news feed. They’re extremely popular and almost seem too good to be true. I’ve always been taught that if something’s too good to be true – it usually is. Let’s find out if that’s the case with China bridal wear.
Are Wholesale Wedding Dresses from China Legit?
Wholesale wedding dresses from China are no doubt appealing for a range of reasons. However, if you’re looking for a designer dress, this is likely not the option for you. Many will claim that they’re designer, when in fact, they’re just copycat designs. Some of them may look genuine, some may even feel genuine – but you will be getting what you pay for.
Pros of Wedding Dresses from China
Let’s take a look at why you might want to order a wedding from China, and some reasons why this may be a good option for you.
- Price. If you’re on a tight budget and just can’t afford the hundreds (or thousands) of pounds it costs for a designer gown, this is a great alternative. No, it won’t be as luxurious – but you’ll likely still look gorgeous.
- Speed. Wedding dresses from boutiques can take months to come into store and if you’re needing a gown quickly, you may not have the time. Dresses from China can reach you relatively quickly, so they’re perfect if you need a dress urgently.
- Try Before You Buy. This is something I did with veils before I got married. I wasn’t sure whether I even wanted one, so I ordered several from China at a ridiculously cheap price. That way I could enjoy them from the comfort of my home, in the time that I wanted. It’s the same with dresses! If you want to trial a certain style of dress for a few hours to see how it feels, or how it works with accessories you may have – it’s the perfect idea. Especially as you can pick some dresses up for next to nothing!
- Ease. Some brides hate shopping. Some brides may not particularly care too much about how their dress looks. If this sounds like you, a wedding dress from China would be perfect. No need to stand in a boutique for hours on end, it can be done super quickly with a browse on the internet.
Cons of Wedding Dresses from China
I’ll be honest, the cons do outweigh the pros for these dresses. So let’s take a look at some of the most important cons.
- Fabric. The fabric in China wedding dresses will not be as good as the ones you’ll find in wedding dress stores if you live in the US/UK. That’s not to say that some gowns are made with good fabric – but they are very sparse. If how your dress feels is important to you, a dress from China may not be right for you.
- Perfection. A lot of brides strive for perfection on their wedding day, and why shouldn’t you? The day is all about you and your partner, and you probably won’t have another one. However, wedding dresses from China will not be perfect. If that’s not something you’ll be able to manage, it’s best to stick to your local wedding boutique!
- Construction. The time and effort that goes into a wholesale wedding dress from China, in comparison to those you see beautifully displayed in a shop window is vast. Not only do they use less fabric in these dresses, but it’s also cheaper too. This may not be the look you’re after on your wedding day.
- Details. If you’re looking for a complete dress, this may not be the right fit. Many dresses come without boning or slips. All these small details help to define your figure – it’s more important than you might think!
Read more about Who Wears Flowers At A Wedding?
Some adverts that you’ll see will show designer dresses at ridiculously cheap prices. While we can’t exactly call this a “scam”, you will not get what you see in the photo. It will be a similar design, but it will not be designer. It will not be made with the same fabrics, and will not be the same quality. The price of your dress will definitely reflect in the quality you receive – so please bear that in mind.
Buying a Dress
If you’re still set on buying a dress from China, here’s a few things important things to consider before you make your purchase.
- Your dress will likely be delivered in a sealed packet, and will arrive not looking it’s best! It will need cleaning and steaming. If you have a steamer yourself, that’s ideal – but will likely take you a while to do. Ask at your local dry cleaners if this is something they’d be willing to do for you.
- Alterations are very important. Your dress likely won’t arrive and fit you perfectly. Before you order your dress, find someone who is happy to make the alterations for you.
Online stores like DHGate have thousands of dresses for you to have a look at if you’re thinking of making a purchase. It comes with feedback on each individual dress and has a long-range of filters to help whittle your options down to your dream dress.
Whether a wedding dress from China is suitable for you, is all down to the kind of budget you have and the vibe of your wedding. While a wholesale Chinese gown may be suitable for one bride, it may not be for another – but we could say that about almost every wedding dress!
Did you order your wedding dress from China? How did it look? If so, please let me know in the comments below. I would love to see hear your experiences – positive or negative. Sharing is caring!
Read more about Chair Bows For Wedding Receptions